Saturday, January 28, 2012

Week 2: Learning Disabilities and Assistive Technology

I really enjoyed going through the website activities on learning disabilities. Some of these activities I could some what relate to since I had a hard time with reading and writing in school. It was always easier to communicate by speaking then writing. There are some assistive technologies to help with struggling writers like myself. A student could use a tape recorder to record what they would like to write and then put it on paper.  There are also some programs that will type what you speak.

I thought the decoding activity was particularly tricky. I have trouble spelling and sounding out unfamiliar words as a college level student. I can't image how hard it must be for a student with learning disabilities. The English language is no fun!!

Attention issues are difficult to overcome. As a teacher, I try to repeat myself as much as I can so that everyone can process what I am teaching. I think the issue of attention also must include learning styles. If a student has trouble paying attention and they are a visual learner then it would be extra difficult to pay attention to directions that are just verbally. Again, as a teacher I try to give verbal and written directions and notes. I am not sure of any assistive technologies that would help with attention issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment